Our global pagesClose
Eversheds Sutherland global aviation practice
Eversheds Sutherland’s global Aviation practice combines our extensive knowledge of the aviation industry and the legal and regulatory framework, in order to help you achieve your business goals.
Experience counts in the aviation sector and Eversheds Sutherland’s team has a long history in all aspects of this complex and highly regulated industry. We have worked in aviation for more than 20 years. Our clients come to us because we know their business and share a genuine passion and understanding of the industry. This enables us to deliver commercially focused solutions for transactions, disputes and day-to-day legal and regulatory matters.
Aviation industry developments
Airlines and airports face enormous challenges: escalating costs, fluctuating volumes in air traffic for passengers and freight, constraints on revenue growth, tighter capital markets, climate protection constraints and uncertainty surrounding aerospace and defense budgets.
However, there have also been positive developments in the market: the over-capacity of the world’s airline industry has been reduced, new business models have been developed and the aviation industry is establishing a more agile infrastructure to provide increased operating efficiency. Technology and technical advances are playing a central role and our focus on advising on both use and application, as well as development of innovative technology — can give you a clear advantage.
Aviation law experience
Our diverse range of clients includes airlines, airports, governmental authorities, regulatory bodies, aircraft manufacturers, industry financiers, fractional aircraft owners, operators, insurers, lessors and service providers.
We are aware of the risks and rewards of mergers and acquisitions, as well as their global antitrust/competition implications. Our team has litigated aviation matters across the globe and has a deep understanding of the Montreal treaty, the Warsaw convention and EU limitations on liability and passenger-related claims.
Our understanding of the day-to-day issues involved in aircraft registration, pilot citations, licensing, and code sharing is deep. We also have a strong track record of legal convergence within the airline industry. Our experience includes areas such as employment agreements under multiple jurisdictions, commercial agreements, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the General Aviation Revitalization Act, outsourcing and systems integration, intellectual property and big data issues.
Our recent experience includes:
- implementing full legal convergence plans for a global airline and an aviation trade association
- advising on a major intellectual property dispute for the largest aviation trade association
- full legal service delivered for multiple global airlines, including advice in relation to outsourcing, anti-trust/compliance, employment and data privacy issues
- refinancing of a major international airport
- acting in relation to an industrial action ballot and a potential EU challenge to avoid strike action during a UK holiday period
- advising in relation to major airport infrastructure projects including the construction of terminals, runways and airport towers
- We advise clients across the world. Whatever your aviation legal need, in whichever jurisdiction, we can support you.
Contact our aviation team
If you would like any further information or need advice on aviation law, please contact our legal team.