Our global pagesClose
Construction and engineering
Eversheds Sutherland is the law firm behind some of the world’s most ambitious construction and engineering projects. Our global construction and engineering practices combine extensive experience with in-depth industry knowledge. Wherever you operate, you can build in confidence while our experienced network of international lawyers helps your business chart a course through this complex and constantly evolving legal area.
How our construction and engineering practices can help you
We serve the entire industry – our clients include large commercial, industrial and private owners, construction managers, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, architects, material and equipment suppliers, real estate developers and public entities.
We provide a comprehensive service – our lawyers are able to advise you on every aspect of the industry, including construction project development, negotiating and preparing contracts and documents, project financing, bidding and bonding, permit and land use, environmental compliance. We also deal with employment relations, supply and distribution chain contracts, intellectual property protection and licensing, claims presentation, defense and alternative and traditional dispute resolution.
We offer scalability – our team is happy help you to handle routine matters with efficiency and confidence, but we are also able to advise on groundbreaking projects of immense scale. For example, we acted on multiple construction and engineering legal issues for the 2012 Olympics and in the two largest offshore wind farm disputes in the UK.
We look for innovative solutions – for instance, for Microsoft we delivered an entirely new hub-based legal process, allowing the roll-out of a single contract for all the company’s real estate development and maintenance worldwide. This hyper-efficient model speeds up the legal process and cuts costs.
We provide effective dispute avoidance and resolution – our disputes team is there to support you when you need it, wherever you operate. When issues arise, we guide you through all the options, helping you to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of every approach. Although our experienced litigators and arbitrators will fight when necessary and across jurisdictions, we are often able to save you the risk and expense of a protracted dispute.
Experienced construction and engineering lawyers
Our experience includes:
- advising a major energy company in relation to the nuclear new-build project at Hinkley Point C and the Teesside offshore wind farm development
- representing a major developer in a multi-million-pound dispute regarding the design and construction of one of the most iconic buildings in the UK
- acting for a European engineering company in a dispute over the construction of the world’s largest man-made structure, designed to cover a destroyed reactor building
- representing one of the world’s largest construction management companies in resolving claims for contract balance, extra work and delay arising out of the abatement and deconstruction of 130 Liberty Street (the former Deutsche Bank building) in downtown Manhattan – the last building to be removed from the Ground Zero site
- prevailing as lead counsel to a construction manager in state and federal litigation and related arbitrations in a complex, protracted dispute with the owner of a major casino resort, hotel and retail project. After a nine-month jury trial, we achieved the largest commercial verdict to that date in the state of Nevada
- representing a multinational EPC contractor, in several ongoing disputes involving wind generation power facilities in the United States and Canada
Contact our construction and engineering team
If you would like any further information or need advice on construction and engineering law, please contact our legal team.