Our global pagesClose
Environmental legal issues present an ongoing compliance challenge for all businesses. Regulators around the globe continue to place new and more stringent demands on businesses to meet enhanced environmental standards. This is driven by a range of global trends, such as increased chemical regulation, product stewardship and environmental accountability, and public concerns around climate change and sustainability. In the U.S., the federal government appears poised to reverse that trend by rolling back environmental regulation, thereby ushering in an era of regulatory uncertainty and patchwork regulation by and among the individual states.
Experienced environmental lawyers
Eversheds Sutherland’s experienced global environmental legal teams provide you with solutions-driven advice and representation wherever our clients do business. Whether we are providing guidance on environmental compliance, assessing risk profile in a transaction, or defending environmental litigation and enforcement, we work with you to understand your business and ensure that our advice is always focused, practical and relevant. We also work with our colleagues in other teams such as real estate, construction and safety and energy, where the legal requirements often interact. Where advice is required across a number of jurisdictions globally, we assemble a multi-jurisdictional team for you, which will deliver seamless and fully-integrated advice.
Eversheds Sutherland’s environmental team has extensive experience of issues arising from laws governing environmental protection and energy and product stewardship, including:
- asbestos management
- air issues, including Clean Air Act, Clean Power Plan
- chemical compliance, including TSCA and REACH
- climate change, including GHG reporting and cap-and-trade programs
- environmental and toxic tort litigation
- environmental defense and white collar defense
- environmental insurance and risk mitigation
- environmental permits
- federal and state fuel compliance and enforcement, including renewable fuel mandates
- incidents including oil spill
- natural resource damages
- product stewardship issues such as packaging waste, WEEE and RoHS
- site remediation
- transaction/project-related risk assessment and diligence, including appointment of environmental consultants
- statutory nuisance
- sustainability issues, such as energy assessment schemes and energy performance of buildings
- waste, CERCLA, coal ash
- clean water and safe drinking water regulation
- compliance audits and risk management
Our environmental lawyers bring unique backgrounds and extensive training and experience to address all your legal needs. Several of our attorneys worked at regulatory agencies and legislative bodies prior to joining Eversheds Sutherland, and therefore have first-hand knowledge of the key personnel and inner workings of these organizations.
Contact our environmental team
If you would like any further information or need advice on environmental law and regulation, then please do not hesitate to contact our legal team.