Our global pagesClose
Litigation and dispute management
In recent years the global litigation team at Eversheds Sutherland has led our clients through some of the most complex disputes and challenging regulatory investigations around the world. Global trade and increasing cooperation between regulators are often features of the cases we handle, whether litigation, arbitration or investigations. With over 400 experienced litigation attorneys in the U.S., Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia our global team is able to handle the largest and most complex cross border disputes and regulatory challenges. We understand the interplay between different legal systems and regulatory regimes, leveraging that knowledge for the benefit of our clients.
Experienced litigation and disputes management lawyers
We work with clients to identify the appropriate commercial solution for every dispute. Hard fought litigation might be the best approach (or unavoidable) but in many cases we will use alternative dispute resolution to achieve a successful outcome for our clients. As early adopters of legal project management we work to an agreed methodology to deliver successful outcomes on time and on budget. We also make full use of litigation technology to reduce costs and maximise efficiency in relation to document review and data analytics.
Our team of attorneys includes experienced trial lawyers, arbitration specialists, mediators and former prosecutors/regulators from around the world with experience across every sector of the economy. Our breadth of experience and the depth of global resource is why clients trust us with their most strategically important cases.
We represent clients in disputes across a range of sectors including financial services & insurance, energy, technology, pharma, construction and manufacturing. We handle cases in the civil and criminal courts at all appellate levels. Our arbitration practice covers all the leading global arbitration centers and tribunals (such as New York, London, Paris, Singapore). In relation to regulatory enforcement and investigations work we handle the full range of white collar, financial crime and securities related enforcement cases.
- Served as lead counsel in the BP oil spill litigation and guided the drilling contractor through crisis management and regulatory issues following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Representing a state owned oil corporation in a $13billion arbitration relating to alleged breaches of an oil supply agreement.
- Served as lead counsel to the Florida Senate, House of Representatives and State Board of Education in a constitutional challenge to Florida's $19 billion K-12 public school funding system. After a four-week trial, the court entered judgment in favor of the State.
- Acting for a global bank on claims arising from the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products. A team of 100 attorneys reviewed and advised on over 2,000 complex mis-selling claims as part of a review ordered by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Represented a major regional investment firm in parallel federal and state investigations stemming from the subprime mortgage crisis.
- We advised Hong Kong’s regulator of telecommunications and broadcasting in a high-profile investigation into the control and management of one of the two domestic free television programme service licensees, ATV. This involved overturning a judgment of the Court of First Instance in judicial review proceedings concerning our client’s conduct of the investigation.
- Served as counsel for 46 welders and pipefitters from India who sued Signal Corp. and U.S. and Indian recruiters, alleging violations of U.S. anti-human trafficking laws, in connection with the workers’ recruitment and employment in oil rig repair operations Hurricane Katrina. Working with firms and organizations representing approximately 200 other similarly-situated individuals, and after the first five claims to be tried resulted in a jury verdict of $14 million, we resolved the matter in a settlement in connection with Signal’s bankruptcy which establishes a fund of $20 million to pay all the claimants.
- We act for a well-known corporate trustee in ongoing proceedings in the UK and Australia arising from the high profile collapse and liquidation of a complex corporate group. The matter is of significant importance owing to the large sums involved, with approximately AUD$2bn to be distributed in the liquidation. We are involved in 14 connected actions. The amounts involved and complexity of the issues make this the longest and most expensive set of legal proceedings in Australian history.
Clients trust Eversheds Sutherland to understand their unique business objectives and deliver innovative ideas and exceptional service. We justify that trust with performance and results.
Contact our litigation and disputes management team
If you would like any further information or need advice on litigation and disputes management matters, please contact our legal team.