Our global pagesClose
International arbitration is now the preferred dispute resolution mechanism for many international transactions. This is due to its advantages for enforcement, its neutrality and its stability, and its advantages in preserving confidentiality.
We have more than 70 arbitration lawyers around the globe, including in all the major arbitration hubs, representing companies, investors, financial institutions, States and State entities. Our team of lawyers spans the world’s major international arbitration centres, including Dubai, Geneva, Hong Kong, London, New York, Paris, Singapore, Stockholm, Vienna, and Zurich.
Experienced international arbitration lawyers
Our comprehensive services include dedicated advice in arbitration law and practice, drafting arbitration clauses, enforcement of arbitral awards and advocacy before international tribunals and national courts. Our attorneys have served as both arbitrators and advocates in international arbitration proceedings involving Asia, Europe, Latin America and North America. Our global team are leaders within the wider arbitration community that encompasses a vice president of the ICC, three former ICC Court members, a trustee of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, a former member of the WTO Dispute Settlement Appellate Body, Fellows in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, arbitrators on the American Arbitration Association and International Center for Dispute Resolution Mega Case Panel, co-chair of the Construction Committee for the International Center for Prevention and Resolution of Disputes. Members of our team also lecture at numerous prestigious universities and institutions across the world amongst others.
Clients choose us because of our international arbitration reputation, our depth of relevant industry experience, and our global organization. We are known for our forensic preparation, pragmatic strategic advice, innovative working practices, and winning advocacy. We always act in the best commercial interests of our clients. While we are experienced in managing complex adversarial proceedings, we apply the same rigor and judgment when advising on commercial solutions to contain risk and explore the potential for resolving a dispute at an early stage.
The core strength of our combined firm is advising on high-value complex commercial disputes for clients in the construction, energy, environmental, financial services, intellectual property, maritime and shipping, and telecom sectors.
We also have a leading reputation for global investment-State arbitration and regularly represent both claimant investors and respondent States in such disputes. In addition to our top-flight commercial and investment arbitration practice, we are also regarded as the world’s pre-eminent public international law practice. We regularly act in major State-to-State litigation and arbitrations, and advise on matters of international law such as boundary disputes, State responsibility, global trade agreements, environmental matters, human rights issues and sanctions.
- Represented a British insurance underwriter in litigation and arbitration arising out of the underwriter's participation in the viatical industry. We successfully compelled arbitration and enforced the arbitration award, and prevailed in litigation adverse to a company providing fraudulent estimated life expectancies.
- Achieved a favourable award for a U.S. conglomerate in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration of claims arising from its purchase of a Brazilian company from Brazilian and German owners.
- Acted for a Middle Eastern telecoms company in a multi-million dollar arbitration under ICC rules and involving three substantive bodies of law.
- Represented various partner oil companies in respect of a threatened take-over of a highly valuable and strategic pipeline in North Africa, which gave rise to potential commercial and investment arbitrations.
- Acted for a Russian oil major in relation to two arbitrations at the LCIA against an Eastern European national oil company, for the non-delivery of $500m worth of fuel oil.
- Represented foreign investors against a Southeast Asian State in two separate high value disputes in the energy/gas sector
- Represented a Middle Eastern State defending an investment treaty claim brought by a large telecoms company, in relation to a billion dollar mobile telecoms licence.
- Advised an oil major on its rights under a series of investment treaties, and how best to safeguard its multi-billion dollar investment in off-shore oil production facilities in Africa.
- Achieved the favorable resolution of an ICC arbitration in Paris involving failed equipment at a power generation facility owned by our client, the U.S. subsidiary of a Spanish company.
- Represented a Canadian consortium/owner of a wind power generation facility in a dispute against a German EPC contractor regarding equipment warranty issues.
- Served on Panel in ICC arbitration between Italian company and U.S. company and individuals involving sale of a large auto parts manufacturer. Amount in controversy was $60 million.
- Served as an arbitrator in a dispute between several companies of different nationalities involving the construction of a resort hotel in the Bahamas.
- Served as one of the United States binational panelists in international trade disputes between Canada and the United States involving the antidumping and countervailing duty laws.
- Represented the Republic of Colombia in an ICJ dispute brought by the Republic of Ecuador concerning the alleged damage caused by aerial herbicides to the citizens and environment of Ecuador.
- Acted for the Republic of Slovenia on an arbitration related to the disputed boundary between Slovenia and Croatia.
- Advised Aresbank on its challenge against Iceland's Financial Supervisory Authority relating to the group's USD300 million investment in three Icelandic banks before the 2008 financial crisis, alleging that Iceland had breached property and rule of law rights protected under the ECHR.
In today’s global economy, our clients expect their cross-border disputes to be handled efficiently and effectively. We work with Fortune 100, 500 and other global companies to analyse the most efficient and attractive dispute resolution options from the beginning of a transaction, and to navigate cross-border arbitration and judicial assistance proceedings if disputes arise. We understand the arbitration processes and the businesses that use them and have decades of experience in these industries.
Contact our international arbitration team
If you would like any further information or need advice on international arbitration, please contact our legal team.
Choose a country
Select a country to see local services
Choose a country
Select a country to see local services