Our global pagesClose
Indirect tax/VAT law
Eversheds Sutherland’s indirect tax practices will help you chart a way through the global maze of indirect taxes and VAT systems. Advising across a wide range of VAT-sensitive sectors including real estate, financial services, retail, diversified industries, education and healthcare, we can deliver practical solutions and maximum tax efficiency for your business.
Experienced indirect tax lawyers
VAT does not stop at national boundaries. Every business transaction in Europe and much of the wider world has VAT/GST implications, often under differing rules and procedures. Our global VAT group provides standalone structuring advice but also deals with inquiries and disputes with tax authorities, allowing us to offer integrated VAT advice across jurisdictions.
We also routinely advise clients on indirect taxes imposed by U.S. states and localities including sales and use taxes, telecommunications taxes and gross receipts taxes.
Examples of our experience include advising
- one of the world’s biggest pension schemes on ways to mitigate the VAT costs of operating in light of European case law
- on a VAT efficient structure of a major new university campus
- advising on the cross border VAT issues of a new specialist investment fund
- VAT exempt companies on the disapplication of the VAT election
- a major gaming provider on the most VAT efficient pan EU online gaming structure which, while mitigating VAT incurred on expenditure, allows for a software-development arm of the business to remain onshore in the UK
- on complex VAT partial exemption issues for clients in the financial services, retail and education sectors
Contact our indirect tax team
If you would like any further information or need advice on indirect tax/VAT law, please contact our legal team.