Our global pagesClose
Eversheds Sutherland helps CNPC land $1.76 billion concession in Abu Dhabi
- United Kingdom
Eversheds Sutherland (International) lawyers in Beijing, Abu Dhabi and London advised China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) on its investment in a major multi-billion barrel concession project in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
In February 2017, CNPC and Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) announced the signing of an agreement to award CNPC International Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNPC, an 8% stake in the US$22 billion Abu Dhabi Company for Onshore Petroleum Operations (ADCO) concession. ADNOC has taken a 60% stake and invited a shortlist of leading foreign oil companies to bid for stakes within the remaining 40%. British energy company BP and French energy company TOTAL have each previously signed a deal for a 10% stake while Japan’s Inpex and South Korea’s GS have each previously signed a deal for smaller interest with ADNOC.
This new 40-year onshore concession currently covers 15 oilfields (including the Bab, Asab and Bu Hasa) which are collectively estimated to hold resources of between 20 to 30 billion barrels of oil equivalent over its term. This concession is significant in the context of global oil resources – being currently responsible for more than half of Abu Dhabi’s production of 3.1 million barrels of oil per day. Abu Dhabi represents 6% of the world’s oil reserve. ADCO is the concession operator.
The Eversheds Sutherland team was led by Ingrid Zhu-Clark (managing partner, Beijing), Tim Armsby (managing partner, Abu Dhabi) and Greg Hammond (partner, London). The full team included partners Geraldine Ahern (Abu Dhabi), Dani Kabbani (Abu Dhabi), Paul Fontes (London), Adrian Toutoungi (London) and Alex Doughty (London), legal director Jubilee Easo (London), senior associate Sara Elmatbouly (Abu Dhabi), Atif Taher (Abu Dhabi) and Marianne Fonteyn (London), and associates Qiao Kang (Beijing), Richard Tan (Beijing) and Victoria Clissold (London).
Ingrid Zhu-Clark comments:
"We are honoured to have had the opportunity to represent CNPC on this sophisticated, world-class transaction. I’m very proud to have worked on this project with such a dedicated team of lawyers.”
For more information contact
This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full terms and conditions on our website.
- Eversheds Sutherland named in Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2017
- Eversheds Sutherland advised the Pentair group in its acquisition of the assets of Zenius, a French company located in Nice, France
- DCC and Eversheds Sutherland Leaders Series - The Workplace of the Future, 5 May 2017
- Wierzbowski Eversheds Sutherland among the leading Polish data protection and TMT advisors
- Eversheds Sutherland advises Blackstone on the cross-border sale of its Union State Portfolio of student accommodations