Our global pagesClose
Energy and natural resources
In the last years, Romania has seen an effervescence of new regulations and transactions in energy (both conventional and renewable), utilities and infrastructure fields. Our aim is to be recognized as a dynamic, versatile and successful business in these areas and we take pride in our ability to devise innovative and commercially viable solutions to complex transactional and regulatory problems.
Our lawyers gained valuable exposure in dealing with some of the largest energy and utilities providers in the world, with key players in natural resources and sector-specific services as well as with the Government and municipalities. We have been involved in many of the most significant transactions in Romania including public contracts, infrastructure projects and utilities privatizations, private energy projects and PPPs.
In addition to our constant commitment to a thorough understanding of the relevant businesses, we are maintaining and developing close contacts with relevant Governmental and regulatory authorities, thus being able to keep abreast of new regulations and practices on issues relevant to the industry and our clients.
Our lawyers have considerable experience, having acted for:
Oil and Gas
- A leading, Hungary based, integrated CEE oil and gas corporation in connection with its acquisition of the Romanian subsidiary of one of the largest US based groups of energy and petrochemicals companies;
- A leading, Hungary based, integrated CEE oil and gas corporation in connection with a divestment of a network of gas stations and certain assets to the largest Romanian oil and gas companies and acquisition of assets and businesses from the latter;
- A leading Polish oil and petrol refiner in its attempt to acquire the Romanian national oil and gas company;
- A Romanian private equity fund in relation to its investment and subsequent sale of a company active in the supply and distribution of natural gas to the largest French natural gas supply and distribution company;
- Two international financial institutions in connection with their investment in the largest gas supplier and distributor in Romania;
- An oilfield services company in connection with contractual matters in Romania;
- The banks in more than 25 financing transactions for gas and electricity companies, with or without sovereign guarantees;
- a John Crane entity in connection with outsourcing agreements with the largest oil and gas company in Romania;
- The largest crude oil and natural gas producer in Germany in connection with the attempted acquisition of a natural gas storage company in Romania;
- A Texas based oilfield services company on the attempted acquisition of an oilfield services company;
- A Canadian oil and gas corporation and the Romanian subsidiary of a UK based oil and gas exploration company in connection with the concession of an oil EDP block and joint venture with a Canadian mining company;
- One of the world’s leading onshore and offshore drilling and engineering contractors in the attempted acquisition of an oilfield services company and on day-to-day matters.
- A Romanian public authority with regard to the privatization strategy in the energy sector, as part of a consortium led by US bases law firm;
- The A Fortune 200 US based electrical power company in connection with the privatization of a state-owned electricity supply and distribution company;
- One of the world's largest investor-owned electric utility service providers in connection with the proposed privatization of a Romanian power plant;
- A large US energy company in structuring arrangements for a PPP with a municipality for the development of a brownfield biomass power plant;
- A Japanese consortium in connection with the rehabilitation of a power plant and construction of a power station;
- A company active in the E-RES sector on regulatory matters and construction and operation of wind farms;
- A UK based renewable energy company on the construction of a biomass-fuelled power plant;
- One of the largest logistics and distribution group with respect to the construction and commissioning of a wind farm;
- The banks in more than 20 financing transactions for electricity production companies, with or without sovereign guarantees;
Energy and Carbon Trading
- An association of 100 Europe based energy trading companies as local counsel in connection to the implementation in Romania of their standard trading agreements;
- International energy traders in setting up their operations and obtaining the relevant licenses in Romania;
- A company active in the oilfield services business in connection with power trading agreements and licensing matters;
- A large Edinburgh based bank in connection with carbon trading matters;
- A Russia based company and the largest extractor of natural gas on licensing and electricity and carbon transactions.
- A leading international finance and strategy advisory firm in connection with a project having as objective the improvement of the use of public port infrastructure for Port of Constanta;
- An international financing institution in connection with the project financing of a new barge terminal in the Port of Constanta;
- An Aecom company in connection with various projects in Romania;
For a more detailed presentation of our experience in this practice area please contact our Managing Partner, Cristian Lina.