Global menu

Our global pages


Changes to 2023 Emiratisation compliance deadlines

  • UAE
  • Employment law


Be aware

Employers with more than 50 employees are required to achieve an increase of 1% of Emirati nationals employed in skilled jobs by 30 June 2023. They are then required to employ a further 1% by 31 December 2023. The overall requirement of increasing Emiratisation in skilled jobs over the course of 2023 by 2% of the workforce has not changed, but this new staggered timeframe for compliance seeks to accelerate the achievement of the targets across the year.

The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) have confirmed that fines for non-compliance for the first half of 2023 will start to be applied in July 2023. Fines for non-compliance in 2023 will be AED 7,000 / month for each Emirati not employed.

Be ready

This change places an ongoing emphasis on private sector employers outside of the freezones to address and enhance the recruitment and retention of Emirati nationals in the workforce. The staggered approach to compliance across the year means that the focus in relation to attraction, recruitment and retention of Emirati’s must remain at the top of your UAE HR and people agenda.

How can we help?

For more information or assistance in relation to Emiratisation requirements or employment law in general, please contact your usual Eversheds Sutherland contact or Lisa Bryson: